. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Memories of Lucinda

Sunday, September 22, 2024

Memories of Lucinda



(A lone voice whispers)


There's a hidden secret room I go to 

In my cathedral of dreams


Whenever I sleep


Where a white candle burns

In The Great In-Between 


As Yesterday lives wild 

Fed on memories and crawls up and down 


The broken walls


While favourite ones 

Stand up tall


And in amongst the grey clutches of Yesterday 


There in the middle

Amongst the cobwebs and ivy


The weeds and bits of creeping moss


Is my old shrine 

To all I've lost

A long time ago 


That shrine once as white as snow

But now grey


It shines and gleams

With mystical glee


As Yesterday 

Crawls up and down the walls


Like a banshee 

Wearing a black shawl


In its centre

Made of now dull silver

On its table


Is a black and white picture left by Yesterday 


For me to remember

The only love who kept me stable 


Lost in December 


And as I pause

And Yesterday 


Feeding on memories 

Stop's climbing the walls


I hear her sweet husky voice over the top of my beating heart


It breaches the weed filled nooks and crannies


Cools my fast flowing bloodstream 

       

Then in that moment climbing through the atoms of that sparse air


Comes her perfume drifting 

From somewhere 

 

A much loved fragrance from the past


Filled with sweet moments as I remember I prayed would last


Then Yesterday moves 

And the scent is gone


The voice disappears


And in that room of no living creature 


Where I sometimes appear

To remember 


Yesterday's memories 

Which I hold dear


That white candle

in its centre

On that table


 

Burns brighter each year

On the 28 of December 

When I return to remember 


My beloved Lucinda 

Who I lost


One fatal day in winter


(C)

Copyright John Duffy 


No comments:

The Invocation of Xo