. Poetry from The Great In-Between: The Monologue of Mr Grief

Monday, September 23, 2024

The Monologue of Mr Grief

 


 
(A lone voice whispers)


Some people I know 
Like to wear their hearts on their sleeves

And smile at the world
Wherever they go 


It's so much more courageous and revolutionary 

Then I can ever conceive 


I like to keep mine under deep cover so it can recuperate and try to breathe

From all the subtle Kübler-Ross wars, I've recently endured 


As I seek a means to quell all these tragic sensations which must be cured

For I know deep down they need to run their course 


As I lay tapping my feet listening to the bustling wind as it blows yonder 

I always ponder 
The why's and the what for's


The means and themes of all that depressing pain that eventually follows home 


Each time that so delicious memories' tablet I delicately swallow


For I know


Things will never be the same and I take my hat off and bow 

To all those who suffer in silence but smile 
Wherever they go 


As they wear their hearts on their sleeves 

For to little old me


It's just a crazy concept and one I can never believe


For inside now I'm without you
I'll just wander in solitude


Living on my own and some nights when I'm sat alone

In our old home
Sipping lemonade and gin


Thinking about the last time I saw your beautiful face 

Touched your soul as we rolled around playfully


Wrapped up together in twenty-five minutes of sin


We thought would last forever


Until illness came creeping in and called you home

I'll forever just grieve


Walking around
With my heart hidden

Carefully 
Under my sleeves


Copyright John Duffy


No comments:

The Invocation of Xo