. Poetry from The Great In-Between: November Memories

Monday, August 3, 2026

November Memories

 



"November Memories" by John Duffy is a poignant exploration of nostalgia, using fiery imagery to depict the painful yet comforting process of reliving memories to feel close to a lost loved one. 


The poem, which features a rhythmic, song-like structure, highlights a paradoxical longing for the past, where the speaker embraces the suffering of memory to feel the presence of the departed once more



(A lone voice whispers) 


Blessed be

Velumbound


Like a fire


Burning deep inside

Running wild


Like a child

On Bonfire Night


I no longer fight

But go real close


To embrace

My old ghosts


Burning

On Memory Lane


Causing me pain

But I love it


Love it

Love it


For you live again


Again

I love how it feels


Even though

It's unreal


I can feel it

Calling me home


Into the flames

I've always known


Like a fire

Burning deep inside


Running wild

Like a child

On Bonfire Night


I no longer fight

I hold the flame


I speak your name


You live again

Again


But go real close

To embrace


My old ghosts


Burning

On Memory Lane


Causing me pain

But I love it


Love it

Love it


For you live again

Again


I love how it feels


Even though

It's unreal


And causes me

So much pain


Though it's unreal

I still believe


Every burning memory

Brings you back

To me


Like a fire

Burning deep inside


Running wild

Like a child


On Bonfire Night

I no longer fight


I hold the flame

I speak your name


You live again

Again


Like a fire

Burning deep inside


Love it

Love it


Though it hurts


You live

Again


(C) 

Copyright John Duffy


No comments:

November Memories