. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Channelling Luca "Charlie" Snow. The Cocaine King.

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Channelling Luca "Charlie" Snow. The Cocaine King.

 


(A lone voice whispers)


I was once an adoring stranger 

To living in the Fast Lane


When I was addicted to every form of known enslaving danger


Unknowingly using it


Like a stupid reason 

To take cheap cocaine


But as I look back on my old life and all its seasons


Reliving some of those crazy days of shame

I now know


When I got down on my tired, broken knees

Before that very homemade white cross


In my Grandma's back garden


Nailed together with rusty 6-inch nails 

And pieces of old pallet wood


God listened as I prayed to him

In the falling cold winter's rain


Whenever I could


As I begged for his help 

To begin the fight with the Devil


For my freedom

And to conquer his curse and invisible mark


That I foolishly wore proudly for twenty years


Like the Mark of Cain


While living in his dark kingdom

Called Sindom


Looking back

Now I'm clean 


I can clearly see

I've sacrificed so much of my precious time


Crucified my family

Hurt my friends, and sadly


My only one chance of finding true happiness


I've ever seen

For my one and only lover


And even though I’m now free of her

My Colombian Marching Queen



I still wear loneliness

And her invisible chains



Like just another of the cursed

From the Brotherhood of the Profane


But that's how the Tall Man designed us all


So my therapist

At the rehab clinic


Shirley

Told me


She said we're all

Broken fractured 


And to be endlessly consumed


With memories of bloodstained 

Mental campaigns



Baptized 

To ride the inhumane storms of life


And to nearly drown 

In its many soul-destroying 

Hurricanes



But one day

God willing


You'll all rise up


One day

You'll all see the light


She used to say


So today's 

The day for me


As I begin the fight


No longer a stranger 

To that pain and plight


For I'm clean and full of only hope

And as I age


I just use it as a version 

Of my old cheap cocaine


Walking bravely alone 

But now able to cope


In this new warm falling rain


Knowing the Devil 

Now really knows 


My soul's secret name


And that’s why he leaves me alone

For he remembers our spiritual battles and crazy fights


At midnight


In my Grandma's back garden

As I tried to atone


Kneeling underneath 

My homemade white cross 


When I once played 

One of his most dangerous 

Of games


I’m just so glad God won

For it’s him


I now travel to see

Everyday


As I courageously ride through this new life

With a smile


Seated with similar strangers

On one of his many trains


Only now

High on my old memories

Of a pain



I was once addicted too

Like a blast from the past


My old best friend

Mother Cocaine


But like Johnny Cash 

This good old reborn Christian boy's


Coming home


Wearing a rainbow 

Like the Man in Black


I just hope my Sue Ellen 

Is still waiting for me


High up in

The Great In-Between


For years ago

She was so tragically

Taken from me


And when I eventually arrive


Walking like Wyatt Earp

into that Silver City


My palliative nurse Sara Lou

Says it won't be too long


I can only pray she lets me explain

That my deep love for her 


Still survives as it did in eighty-five


And I'm so sorry for not embracing

Our once special and magical love song


Even though it was written

In the middle of one of my life's 

Terrible storms


When I had no sense of right or wrong



And I just miss holding her

My old life's only true love charm


In these sweet old arms


Remember me.


Luca "Charlie" Snow.

December 25th.

2012.


Your forever master of arms


(C)

Copyright John Duffy

No comments: