. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Have you walked upon Desolation Row

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Have you walked upon Desolation Row

 



Blessed be.

Velumbound.


Are you ready for another transmission?


Let us begin.


(A lone voice whispers) 



I still miss your bright white smile

Every night


Like I miss our first kiss at the fairground


For they always appear as bright beams of luminous


Glorious lights


Shooting sounds from the depths of a faraway Heaven


Your warmth and guile

Satisfying my manifestation of love


Given birth to creation


Once by the Mighty Creator

Here on Earth


A glowing, towering beacon to push back


The hordes called Legion


Prowling like hyenas

In the darkness 


Around me


For you were

And always will be


My daily taste of gladness


A philosopher who too has seen and tasted

The wild beasts wine


Of anxiety and madness


So now I call out to you from this wild wood

Where my prison is, as I am stood


This wild forsaken place where loveless things

In the dark shadows


Slither and crawl

Tormenting us all


As we all bang our silver tin cups on our prison walls


Stalking memories alone in uneven lines


Like a lone feral grey wolf pines


Throughout this paranormal neighbourhood


For with you died 


Like many in here who cry

My spark of life


My ecstatic joyful sun

My bringer of serenity and jest


So here in my southwest cobwebbed-filled hut


As other prison cells in Desolation Row


Whom I've never met

Ring out screams like thunder


In a rising crescendo of shrieks of pain and anguish


As we all

Self-punish


While walking the Green Mile

Down Memory Road


Remember me before the last great harvest


Light a candle in your mind's eyes

See our love beneath that undulating ocean


Of pain


Crashing like endless Pacific tides


Maybe again and again


So that I may still live if only for a moment


For what I wouldn't give now

To breathe once more


To open and walk through


That old marital front door

If only for one hour


But as these loud voices

Surrounding me get louder


And grow in power


As silver tin prison cups relentlessly bang

Like dark country drums


With sounds like exploding gunpowder

On black bars of illusion


As I look out for you


From my window, in my cave

My penitentiary


Here in my own watchtower


For

My thousand-named queen


My rare Middlemist Red flower


This broken piece of your soul awaits

To be reunited, to bring peace


When your presence in The Great In-Between

Opens his cell doors


So he can scream no more


But walk home into the bright lights

With the only love 


He adores


Both striding powerfully

Hand in hand


To enter into Evermore


To be refined like silver

Escaping


The Last Great Reaping and Rapture


Of the Prince Who is to come


To build Dissolution Row

Everywhere


For all he captures


Remember me, Your Luca


The broken man with the badly beaten tin cup


Who once loved ya


(C) 

Copyright John Duffy 


No comments:

Have you walked upon Desolation Row