. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Hospice Whispers

Sunday, September 20, 2026

Hospice Whispers

 


A poignant poem capturing a profound moment of devotion and despair as an elderly man holds a vigil by his sleeping wife's bedside. 


The piece explores the agonising tension between acknowledging her physical decline and desperately pleading with her to fight and stay.


 Through vivid motifs of fading light versus enduring passion, the speaker's absolute love transforms into a final, heartbreaking plea for life before a glimmer of hope breaks through as her eyes slowly open.


(A lone elderly man holds his wife's hand, for maybe the last time, and whispers. As she sleeps)


Although your beauty may fade with age


My only love

Don't you dare leave me alone 


Although the shadows like midday angels may slowly appear 


Creeping in

Sent from above 


To take you home


Although your smiles may diminish in numbers 


As our old world slumbers


Although your inner sun

May have ebbed and lost its shine 


With the passing of time


Although I may not say it often enough

Although my mind may be elsewhere 


I do so love you 


So try to lift up your tired heart, my love, and relight your fires


Try to erase the numbness to regain the sharpness 


Ignore the changes with the turn of each of life's many pages 


Although you may think you've lost your inner shine

 

Carry this wondrous prose, just deep within that beautiful mind


A simple thought I just send


From me to you 

My love


For this is not the end

Only our new beginnings 

To start winning 


Hold my hand 

Tighter

Show me you're still mine


Surreptitiously, beyond all the greyest of skies 


For I am yours forever, beyond what people might say and conspire


And here I still stand, with eyes glazed lit 


Like the first day I met you

Still under your mesmerising power 


Lips pursed, looking for my own loving nurse 

To ignite my fires


For I breathe in your shadows 


Walk in your footsteps, just craving to stop your tears 

As surely as the Lord wept


May you always be mine, my divine gift 


Whose Love bestows my life with so much happiness and bliss


For if you leave me now 

Wilting alone if you go home

I'll cry 


And inside 

You'll leave me alone to slowly wither and die


So fight, my love

Fight to live


For together,

We still have so much more to share and give


(Man bows and kisses his wife's soft hands as her tired eyes slowly open)


(C)

Copyright John Duffy

No comments:

Are you sinful?