. Poetry from The Great In-Between: In the pursuit of victory

Sunday, September 13, 2026

In the pursuit of victory

 



These lyrics explore themes of creative drive, personal conviction, and embracing the unknown through the central metaphor of a relentless "strange beat." 


The tone is defiant and urgent, capturing a narrator who rejects comfort in favour of pursuing their inner truth. 


Structurally, the song uses rhythmic repetition and dynamic shifts to mirror the pulsing internal journey described in the text. 


Maybe you know the feeling. 


Salute. 


Title. 

In the pursuit of Victory


(A lone voice whispers) 


Blessed be

Velumbound


Well, I'm walkin' down these streets


Running inside

To a strange beat


Only the tryers know


God damn

That beat takes me

Everywhere I go



I've got things crawling like ivy

All over my mind


Things that want me

To change me


To be...


And be true friends of mine


Some say I'm going crazy

And I should slow down


Take it easy


But I'm walkin' down these streets


Running inside

To a strange beat


Only the tryers know

God damn...


That beat takes me

Everywhere I go


For there's a strange beat

Running through my soul


A beat

That won't let me go


I don't know where it's taking me

But I know I have to find


What is waiting in the darkness


On the other side of my mind


I know it's sweet love

Is gonna save me


We could lose

Or we could win


But we will never

Be here again


So I'm walkin' down these mean streets...


Running inside...

To a strange beat...



Only the tryers know


God damn...


That beat takes me

Everywhere I go


Some say I'm going crazy

And I should slow down


Take it easy


But you know what?


Us truers aren't built

To live lazy


When looking for that something 


To drive us crazy


(C) 

Copyright John Duffy

No comments:

Transmission