. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Nurses in Hearses

Saturday, September 26, 2026

Nurses in Hearses

 


Blessed be. 

Velumbound. 


This is a powerful and raw transmission that tries to capture the profound grief, anger, and despair of watching a loved one endure a painful end-of-life struggle under palliative care. 


It moves from intimate, tender memories of a shared life to a bitter, haunting resentment of the clinical environment and the medical staff.


Ultimately, the speaker is left in overwhelming sorrow, experiencing their own emotional and physical exhaustion as they mourn beside the coffin.


Shall we begin? 


(A lone voice whispers) 


I have lived and loved


Lived and rose every morning 

With you


But after listening


To the sweet, soft sounds, only I was privileged to hear


The slow rise and fall of your chest


As you fought for air and each breath


Those midnight visitors

Dressed in blue


Brought


The nurses who I now know all drive metaphorical hearses


Who administered your syringe driver


Who I now nickname

No survivor


Oh, how you fought


Fought like a true Spartan until the end


This card I leave in your coffin, as I too now have a slow rise and fall of each breath


As I kneel each day and pray for death


(C) 

Copyright John Duffy

No comments:

Transcendence