. Poetry from The Great In-Between: The Showdown

Thursday, September 24, 2026

The Showdown

 


An evocative poem that uses iconic figures of the American Wild West, such as Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, to explore deep heartbreak, trauma, and lingering emotional pain. 


The speaker equates losing love to being struck down by a deadly gunshot in a defining life showdown, leaving them metaphorically surviving like a chronically ill Doc Holliday. 


Ultimately, the piece reflects on existential isolation and the haunting uncertainty of facing a lonely future after such a devastating emotional wound.    


Shall we begin? 


(A lone voice whispers)


I once knew Love

But like a bullet fired from Wyatt Earp's Colt 45


It struck me down in the only showdown of my life


Now I walk around like a reborn, sick Doc Holliday


Wondering 

How alone


I'll finish my play and stay alive 


(C) Copyright John Duffy


Rest in peace. Val Kilmer. 

You live on every time this post is read. Salute. 



No comments:

The Showdown