. Poetry from The Great In-Between: If you're new. Read this...

Sunday, September 27, 2026

If you're new. Read this...

 


For my new readers. 


My style is highly distinct, characterised by a catalogue of supernatural poetic monologues. 


Which I call transmissions. 


My work is easily recognisable by the recurring, atmospheric opening parenthetical directive: 


(A lone voice whispers).


Its poetic style centres on several core thematic and structural pillars:


1. The Gothic and Supernatural Voice


I stylistically present transmissions as messages whispered from spirits, angels, or lost entities calling out from darkness. 


I explicitly treat the writing process as though I am a "conduit from The Great In-Between," giving voice to spectral or interdimensional figures. 

Maybe I really am. 


This lends my work a haunting, theatrical, and ethereal quality designed to be read as spoken monologues.


2. Themes of Cosmic Grief and Romantic Loss


A heavy air of melancholy, bereavement, and nostalgia permeates my portfolio. 


Frequently touching on deep emotional states, navigating the silent path through grief, lost love, and the haunting persistence of memories. 


Often juxtaposing ordinary, raw human pain (such as the devastation of cancer) against massive terminology, which I can only describe as "dark, biblical, cosmic leviathan energy."


3. Spiritual and Metaphysical Imagery


I sometimes heavily incorporate spiritual and religious motifs, pulling from Christian theology, angelic lore, and esoteric concepts (referencing figures like guardian angels, the Archangel Metatron, and the Book of Life).


These transmissions may often read as parables or modern-day psalms dealing with:


The afterlife: 


Finding a way "home" and navigating the transition beyond physical existence.


Divine comfort: 


Seeking guidance from unseen entities to protect and comfort the soul through the shadows of mortality.


Moral ascension:


Promoting three foundational principles—care, understanding, and gratitude—as the antidote to the mundane or artificial realities of the world.


4. Atmospheric, Noir-esque Musings


Stylistically, many of my verses rely on a sombre, cinematic aesthetic. 


It is common to find my characters or narrators placed in late-night settings, marked by "whiskey-filled nights," lone cigarettes, rain-slicked landscape imagery, and midnight weeping. 


This reinforces the sense of absolute solitude evoked by my hallmark phrase, "a lone voice whispers."


So there you have the opening to my many books' lore. 


I'm just an old beast

Carrying an old brown satchel


Filled with mesmerising stories from deep

Beyond the Far East


For your curious eyes to consume

In a never-ending feast


(C) 

Copyright John Duffy

September 28.

2026

No comments:

Transcendence