. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Rêves de Miss Applegate

Thursday, August 1, 2024

Rêves de Miss Applegate

(And the voices return. I previously said I was going to stop writing poetry but, a big but. 

The whispers continue. Salute)


Press play.

Title:

Rêves de Miss Applegate

(Dreams of Miss Applegate)



(A female voice whispers)


I still see her 

Old

Marie Laveau


I can't pretend

In my scrying mirror


Looking back 

And smiling 


Summoned to haunt me 


From when I visited 

Big Mama Aurelia


Somewhere on the water village of the Grand Bayou


For she announced the end

Of being single


And a time and place

Of happiness 

I still cannot see


Where I'll mingle


When Kamadeva will walk in like a proud Captain Jake


 And will tempt me to sin


In new 

Where's and how's

The what if's and so's


So

Sometimes 

I stand dressed in my Mama's old white wedding dress


Looking in my long black and gold mirror 


Pleading to know my fate


In what year 

Month or day

Will she'll come see me 


Before each winter's year ending snow


And whisper

This year


The waiting ends

 Josefina


So I can celebrate the overthrow


Of another phase of living in Hades

But until then


I'll just go back to masquerading on my life's only mission


On my heart's crusade 


Looking for true love

Before I fade away


(C)

Copyright John Duffy

No comments:

Peace