. Poetry from The Great In-Between: The Monologue of the Vampire who changed his name to Dorian Gray

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

The Monologue of the Vampire who changed his name to Dorian Gray

 

Press Play.


(A lone voice whispers)


I've seen crazy things

Mortal man should never see


Done and experienced acts of such depravity in candle lit 


Incense filled bedrooms

And chambers


Secrets

I'll take when I'm called to the tomb


Sailed in slow-moving ships and endless 

Wet hips around the world


Not just in this

My present life


But many more

Past lives


Entered dark places of depravity


Straight ones wouldn't enter or drink in 


Fearing the call of serving the Countess of all Sin


For eternity 


But now I feel Death wanting to take this life alongside all I love


For I feel him looking in my secret scrying mirror 


Smiling like Michael Angelo with his bony hands by his side


Tapping in rhythm 

The Marching Days Are Over


But with my silent heart now asking 


Was it worth it

All that excessiveness and scandal 


As we sit on this last mountain of Goodbyes


Not feeling the warmth of this purple-repentance candle


On my cold and calculating mind


Her bright light

The one from so long ago


Strikes my amygdala

Like an arrow fired by Sitting Bull


From an acute angle

Deep into my skull 


And as her sweet memories fill my immortal cup


From my first love


I know why I won't accept Deaths offer and be culled


For to drink all that this life and future lives offers


I'll take everything in her memory and will never stop


As I wade knee-deep

Through its fast flowing waters


Looking for more lambs

Ready to slaughter 


(C)

Copyright John Duffy 


Image shared under fair usage policy.

No comments:

Peace