(A lone voice whispers)
I may be a memory... Of Christmases past..
Of wonderful times... That still linger...
And still last...
I may be... A beautiful lost sonnet...
Echoing in the distance...
Making a quiet noise...
Across fields..
Of forgotten golden dreams...
An extraordinary love song...
You may still hear...
Above the nightly screams...
I may be...
A low whisper...
Speaking comforting...
Illuminating truths...
Within your beloved mind...
A treasured memory...
You still revisit...
Maybe...
All the time...
I may be all these things...
And so many..
Many more...
But even though...
I'm not standing beside you...
Anymore...
Just remember...
It's you...
Only you...
I'll always adore...
All my treasured memories...
May feel painful...
As they come rushing through...
Those familiar doors...
Yet when the tears arrive...
And old shadows gather..
Know that I am near...
Waiting beside the unopened rooms...
Your heart still fears to enter...
A light beyond the doorway...
A hand within the darkness...
A gentle voice...
Among the silence...
And when forgotten emotions...
Rise from the depths...
Like waves upon a moonlit shore...
I shall walk beside you...
Through every hidden corridor...
Every trembling memory...
Every sacred wound...
For I am not truly gone...
I have simply learned...
How to watch over you...
From here...
And whenever you remember me...
Look beyond your sorrow...
And listen...
For my love still lingers...
In the quiet spaces between worlds...
(C)
Copyright John Duffy

No comments:
Post a Comment