. Poetry from The Great In-Between: The voice of Emilien

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

The voice of Emilien


 


The voice of Emilien


(A lone voice whispers)


I once met the King of all Darkness 


In France 


As we played poker for my soul 


In a burnt out house


While Edith Piaf sang 

La vie en rose 


On a tattered radio

With no power

He carried in his pocket 


Causing the watching fireflies to dance


I remember asking the Tall Man where he'd been


He said

Paris


To cause the Germans and the Resistance some pain


And as we played in that falling smoke-filled rain

I cheated and won


The prize 


Reaching out through someone after my time has run


After sunrise is over


Summoned by the setting Sun


In darkness 

To see if the world still cries 


Like it did before me

In 44


So I send this


For we played

Again 


Late last night 


Old Nick and me

And He won


The prize 


Taking me where

The sun don't shine


To be endlessly chastised

So this is my last message


For your eyes

Before the sun rises 


Look to the East

The low drumbeats 


Of World War Three are starting to beat 


For many 

There will be pain like 

Oradour-sur-Glane 


Something so evil

You should all remember 


Who and what you do

In whoever's name


Or you could be playing poker with the Tall Man


As Edith Piafr sings

La vie en rose 


On his tattered radio


As The East and NATO

Trade nukes


Compelled to do so

By the prodding of the Tall Man and the curse 

Of the male ego


Goodbye 


(C)

Copyright John Duffy 

No comments:

The Monologue of Jabari