. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Is this why people cheat?

Monday, May 13, 2024

Is this why people cheat?


 An intriguing question arose in-between emailing beat makers and singers, as I caught snippets of television.


Can two cheaters ever be truly happy?


Can you ever trust a cheater?


Do two people, who meet, probably at work, (statistically) and have an affair.


Have a lasting trusting relationship?


Or is the fling just a brief dopamine hit to fill a void?


Why don't people just be open and part ways, gracefully?


But oh, the human condition.

The Devils in the details.


If you've ever been cheated on, apologies for the piece. 


It's not intended to trigger old emotions. It's just a reflection of some aspects of humanity.


And on the other hand, does it relate to those tempted by the reverse of loyalty?


Salute.


A theme portrayed endlessly in soaps, drama's, film but more realistically, life. 


Title:


The Affair


(A lone voice reflects in introspection)


We always meet 

Like later tonight


Under the moonlights 


Priceless

Silvery rays


I know we'll slow dance

To Al Green


Like entwined 

Consummated eternal lovers


Forever engaged 

And married insidiously 


By Father Darkness


Through our wicked 

Salacious old ways 


The thoughts of the world 


And all outward consequences


Guilt

Fear

And causing hurt


Simply burn on our 

Old relationships 


Funeral pyres

And just float away 


Like wind blown dirt


Carried aloft by the 

Cold now dystopian 


Midnight air


This crazy relationship 


Which we started as a 

Facebook and Twitter

Conversation 


Is now such a thrilling 

Exhilarating irreducible dare


And is now my every 

Breathing prayer


I know this may last or may break


And it may end in a heartbeat 


As we share a slice 

of the Devil's


Delicious seductive cake


But deep down I know you were always 

Worth the risks


The lies and long waits


For your three whispered words now just bind 


And sing for me 


Whenever my blue eyes close


Three words within eight letters

I just love to hear


I love you


It just keeps me starstruck 

Like a Hollywood big actor 


Lost on your big screen 

Projector


So regardless of our sin and our unspoken marriage 


As we ceremoniously

Slide through dark shadows 


Like unseen lepers 


I pray we win

And buy that dream

Together


For I know 

We're just two


Of the world's many

Unknown sinners


Swimming valiantly 

In one of life's

Many deep rivers


Trying to hold tightly 

To each other 


As we 

Sometimes struggle 

To breathe


Trying to be

Together forever 


Whatever this judgmental

World 


Believes or conceives


Married together

Insidiously 


Through our wicked ways 


As we weave gaslighting

Machiavellian plans 


To always deceive 


But a silent unspoken question 

Always remains


In the dark recesses of my mind 


Like today


Before I meet you

And tell the wife


I'm working late

On a new project 


Helping Sebastien

With a straight face 


For as soon my pupils

Dilate 


I always wonder


Will one of us 

Get bored


And cheat 

Again


Copyright John Duffy 

No comments:

The Calling