. Poetry from The Great In-Between: My Last Letter

Thursday, May 30, 2024

My Last Letter

 Press play.


My last letter

It came from the East
Smiling
All slender and ash grey 

Wearing a white wedding veil

As it came my way 
In the year of 1941

With the cold rise of the early morning sun

On the 20th of May  

When the German airborn arrived 
To join the Battle of Crete 

She came slowly walking up

Down that murky street
In the smoky ash and mud 

Barefoot
In faded Somerset white

With bag pipes playing 

Grey eyes and broken red tipped finger nails

With a scent of death 
And grave

The beast takes many forms

He took all my friends that day

Bill
Terry
Paul and 
Big Norm

That smiling wedding bride took their hands

When 
They got shot and died

I saw it all 
In the smoke 
And cried

For second sight 
Have I

And when she called to take Big Norm

As I watched her shimmering form

She whispered

She you in 2024
On May the 30th

Look for me 
Listen for the bagpipes 
I come at dawn

Then she took Big Norm's hand

And they both walked away

Crying 

Followed the music of bagpipes playing Going Home

And cries 
Amongst the bullets flying

Of the dying

I prayed as I stood
Alone

At the end of that day

And now it's 2024
And the dawn of May on the 30th

Soon she comes

For the faint noise 
Of bagpipes playing

Are making this rattling noise in my lungs

But I'm not scared

Bill
Terry
Paul and
Big Norm 

Are all waiting for me there

For I'm 
Going home

 For I'm 
Going home

(C)
Copyright John Duffy 

No comments:

Peace