. Poetry from The Great In-Between: The Monologue of the Lost Soul

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Monologue of the Lost Soul


EThe Monologue of The Lost Soul


Scene: 


A middle aged man.

Unshaven.

Surrounded by photo albums.


And cobwebs.


Kneels in front of an aging shrine to his dearly departed wife.

At midnight.


And prays 


(A lone voice whispers)


O Lord

King of all Spirits and Fates


Why do I 

With sleepless eyes


Still seek a love that's died


Am I a foe

Seeking forgiveness 

In lullabies 


In knee-worship prayers

With a broken heart of catacombs


Where fear lives

Now it has found its

Home


As I once reached out

To the Ether

And cried


When she crossed over

To the Otherside


With sullen eyes


Am I cursed to never sleep


To never again know 

To treat or feel her


My sin eater and preacher


As demons and angels From past delights


Like Demeter and the old Unwashed Redeemer 


Walk past 

Like pale shadows

In endless nights


And smile


When sleep 

I do fight


On Monarch 

Lord


And King of all that's Right


Pray for me 


Go that extra mile

And open a window 


So I can reach her


In sleep

Tonight 


To see her

My teacher


My speaker


And who like

Mary

Was a true believer 


Who now lives within

Your kingdom 


As she's found holy freedom 


Pray we can wander hand in hand


In The Great Underground Stream

As I dream


Tonight 


In a new

Garden of Eden 


Amen

For

 I'm so useless


(C)

Copyright John Duffy 

    

Images shared under fair usage policy.

No comments:

Peace