. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Monologue of the lone poet

Sunday, June 9, 2024

Monologue of the lone poet

 



I first met you in my childhood


In the library 

And I can still remember


When I used to look out of that bedroom window


While reading Shakespeare 


When I was younger

Just thinking about you


Madam Poetry 


I think you already knew

That deep down

I've always known you


Maybe we're starstruck lovers

Who knows


But

My mind even my family and friends

Now that I'm older


Constantly still send me cryptic coded messages

Warning me to always resist


To step outside 

Into the real world 


To try to convince me to forget that you even exist


But I always listen to my higher-self


And write


As it knows strands of an ancient greater truth


That still today persists


You injected yourself into my humble existence


In a subtle but quite mischievous way


Stimulating me to look inside and analyze myself more


No matter what other folks may ratify to think or say


What they didn't know though

All their words of unwanted advice


Just expanded some more of my repressed emotions


To but dream even more of us


One day,

Swimming together in poetic emotions 


Bluest of oceans


I can't quite comprehend what to deduce of you


Or even to think whenever I smell that familiar old scent of your favourite perfume


Called Stanza 


As I remember

The last time I saw you a few years ago


When you walked through my minds front door


Narrating wild themes linked to propaganda and extravaganza


To be read from here

In Kansas 


Worldwide and Uganda 


Whenever I hear your name


It just drives me crazy with continuous questions


Linked to poetic stories 


Thinking if you could give me the one


I once prayed and asked God for


Maybe that's why I'm just blindly drawn


Like a moth to a burning flame


For you were always so striking compared to so many others


Did you know

An old recently deciphered occult truth


Found hidden deep inside a centuries-old Azerbaijan cave


In a scroll


Simply stated

when translated from Aramaic


Poetic Love is like a huge red blanket

For when it covers you


Your four most primitive of emotions


Happiness sadness fear and anger


Can feel totally smothered


With only brief bouts of feeling tranquil 


When expressed in Poetry's secret language 


Maybe that's really how I feel


Laying here

Thinking about you and wondering


And writing 


Is this what other poets feel


A true calling to rejoice in a love above all 


That's real?


Copyright John Duffy

No comments:

Peace