. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Dystopian Dreams

Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Dystopian Dreams


Foundation of the piece.

(Conjured from the Ether, of course)

I was at church recently and the priest said some interesting things, relating to life.

Namely, one of the biggest days of your life, when you're present but not there, is your wake.

What or who would you miss at that moment of self realisation?


(A lone voice whispers)

I still miss you
You know

And all those interesting places you used to take me

Like to Caesars Palace
After our wedding 
To watch boxing 

When the world was covered in snow

Malibu beach
On honeymoon 

Where in that hot shade
Out of sight 

Your soft lips 
Tasted my soul
As it preached

New sermons from your mouth
As your hand travelled south

All those tantalising things 
And so much more

But since I left
When God opened that heavenly door

I die silently inside 
A thousand times a second
As my broken heart roars


Like Shakespeare's Romeo when he too
Crossed over in death

Whenever I look at your beautiful reflection 
In my black scrying mirror 

And think of all those precious things

I can't do together
Anymore 

With my old life's torchbearer


(C)
Copyright John Duffy 

Image shared under fair usage policy.


No comments:

Peace