. Poetry from The Great In-Between: The Island

Monday, August 5, 2024

The Island


(A lone voice whispers)


As I lay here

Under my apple tree

With my head on my pillow


Looking at my only treasure


A white feather 

By the sea


I can still remember the first time


The Ebb and Flow came looking for me


And I witnessed all those old things once hidden 


When my eyes couldn't see

When it engulfed me in its fine mists


Of secret memories 


The mysteries 

Insecurities 

Jealousy 

Lies 


And all other forgotten things


That Ebb and Flow from beyond the Great Sea

Brought to me


Forgotten moments

Missed chances

Last dances


And the loneliness of standing in a dark circle of never-ending silence


Gripped knee-deep in the black sludge 


Of the Hylands


Now alone on this island 

In the middle of a black sea


With only a white pillow 

White feather and an apple tree


For company 


I still see her

Skin as soft and white as snow


Dressed in blue Levi jeans

White tee

And black high heels


Blue sharp eyes

Beautiful and blonde like a young smiling Marilyn Monroe


Reminded by the mists of the Ebb and Flow


Which touches all things and binds to the spine


The past

Present and future


For they are the polestar

Of all good and evil


The collector and receiver 

Of all things made of matter on Earth


By seeing missed moments and mistakes


When I let that girl ride on her horse called Wildfire 


Right out of my paddocks gates


When my heart took shell fire from Desires Gatling gun


Is that why I'm stuck on this lonely island in the middle of this Black Sea


Sentenced 

To lay 

Under this apple tree 


Inscribed with the many etched in names 

Of past visitors 


With a white pillow and white feather for company 

Lord


Until I find Repentance

To climb higher


Haunted each night

By the Ebb and Flow 


About the girl with blonde hair who looked like a young smiling Marilyn Monroe 


Wearing Levi and a white tee


On a horse called Wildfire

Who I once let go


(C)

Copyright John Duffy 


Image shared under fair usage policy 

 

No comments:

Have you taken her mark yet?