. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Babylon.

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Babylon.


 (A lone voice whispers)


I once heard a wild story of a rebellious seductive woman


Hailing

From somewhere dark


Down West Side

East Washington DC


 


Lost somewhere


In the middle of a seemingly neverending night

  

While drinking expensive whiskey


After I landed from leaving my old life behind 


In Corpus Christi 


Wondering 

As I drowned my sorrows 


If my old love from Russia


Katalina Brzezinski


Would ever miss me


You know the ones


Those good old loose Mephistophelian nights


 

A story about a woman 

I heard


Who whispers so softly

It said


So captivatingly 

With magical words


If she only spoke your name


 

But once


No matter what you're drinkin'


No matter what you're thinkin'


What you’re wearin


Man or woman 


At the end of that long 

Good old 

Dark 


Seemingly endless Mephistophelian night


 


No matter how hard you

Fight


 


How hard

You look for her shadow


Over your shoulders

 

Left or right

After she's gone 


If she only speaks your name


No matter what pain

You’re going through


At the time of your naming


You’ll just be another poor

Tainted soul


She’s just done with claiming


 


I once heard of a New Age mystic


Now know it was her


When I was younger

In my prime


And drinking red wine


Lost in Downtown 

Memphis, Tennessee 


 


Lost somewhere 


Whilst talking to one of her devotees


Called Louie


In a backyard club


Filled with flashing strobe lights 


As The Eagles played live


Their mythical 

Hotel California 


In the middle of that night


That good old apocalyptic Mephistophelian night


 

He talked of a dark-eyed Bayou goddess 


Of who I should beware 

In these parts


A woman 

So beautiful beyond all compare


Who whispers so softly


So captivatingly and seductively 


To all who dare stare


And if she only speaks your 

God-given secretive name


But once


No matter what you're drinkin'


No matter what you're thinkin'


 


At the end of that dark seemingly endless voyeuristic night


It’ll be your soul


She’ll be wearing as a new fur coat


Before 

Riding out onto

The Great Cosmic Plains


In her Ford Mustang GT

As her Pale White Horse



For she heralds the dangerous Age of Cataclysm's



And when I was told

That unholy truth


Oh why didn't I learn


 

For her sweetly spoken words to me


Now heralds a

Bringer 

Of a New Dawn

Of

Divine Encounters


 


The furious fire and the crazy fury before 


The Great Sensuous Cleansing


 


A new Genesis for the Flesh


Before True Peace and Love


Can return


 


I once spoke beer brave

To that wild rebellious woman


Sitting with the aura of a blazing midday sun


In corner of an empty bar 


Smiling like a snake charmer 


In Down West

East Washington DC


 

As she drew me towards her


Then whispered so softly


So captivatingly 

And spoke my spirit name


Making me feel like I was drowning


Swirling 

Lost 

In her souls


Ever-expanding 

Universe's bright lights 


And these are my last words


That I'll ever type


As I now patiently wait

Like Louie


Another of many new slaves of her New Age



For her rhythmic 

Two one Two knock 


On my front door



For after she said my God-given secretive name 


That night 

Outside Bar 32


As we French kissed in the falling rain


And all I can now do 

Is wait in vain 


For my poor soul has been well and truly claimed


By Babylon



And my soul purging and grand cleansing


Has just begun



My own version of a new Genesis


Now I'm alone 

But patiently waiting 


Hiding 

But just staring out

In the long shadows


Watching for my dark-eyed Goddess 


Called Babylon to arrive


 As the morning sun rises


(C)

Copyright John Duffy


Image shared from Pinterest under fair usage policy 


No comments:

Argento