. Poetry from The Great In-Between: entatio (L) Temptation; trial.

Monday, June 17, 2024

entatio (L) Temptation; trial.


 Press play.


Title:


Tentatio (L)

Temptation; trial.

 

(A lone voice whispers)


Belial


Came to me late last night

Just after three 


With Faustian promises

Of riches

And such auspicious

Delights


But as I prayed while he talked 


As my faith 

Shimmered but never 

Once swayed


A beautiful bright light

Suddenly appeared

And came my way


A soft voice

Spoke gently and 

Held me hypnotised 


As it whispered as the tiny molecules of golden light


Which surrounded its form


Defeated the encroaching darkness 

In every way


Listen not

To Belial 

The Lord of the Flies


But to me

The divine messenger 

From the Most High


Bend thy knees 

And pray 


Follow my decrees


Belial might promise you 

Promiscuous sins of

The flesh


Riches

Beyond all the eyes 

Can see


I simply offer freedom 

Beyond this lifetime 


A rebirth 

On the silvery shores and golden cities


By the blessed Holy Sea


Be careful what you wish for and choose 


You hold so much

Which you could so easily 


Lose


As the clocks through midnight ticked


As each soothing voice echoed deep


Within the many recesses 

Of my mind


I came to the realisation 


What my choices will cost


Resisting temptations 


I chose to make in this lifetime


I'll accept as payment 

When it's called

In time


For all choices I chose to make 


Will only be mine 

Free from the trials of temptation


As I played my earthly role


Every step I make

I will pray and stay in control


For I now 

Know 


I have something too precious to lose


My eternal soul which doesn’t want to wander 

forever lost 


In the Bad Lands 


Of Belial's

Burning Black Coal



(C)

Copyright John Duffy 


No comments:

Peace