. Poetry from The Great In-Between: Penitentiary Dreams

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Penitentiary Dreams

Press Play 


(A lone voice whispers)


I still miss your bright white smile


My living breathing Calliope


Every night 

Like I miss our first kiss at the fairground 


On that old Merry-go-round 


For they always appear as bright beams of luminous glorious lights


Shooting from the deep depths

Of a faraway Heaven


Your warmth and guile

Satisfying my manifestation of love


Given birth of creation 

Once by the Mighty Creator

Here on Earth


A glowing towering beacon to help push back 


The hordes called Legion

Prowling like hyenas


In the darkness

Around me


For you were

And always will be 

My daily taste of gladness


A philosopher who too has seen and tasted 


The wild beast wine 

Of anxiety and madness


So now I call out to you from this wild wood


Where my prison is as I am stood 


This wild forsaken place where loveless things 


In the dark shadows slither and crawl

Tormenting us all 


As we all bang tin cups on our prison walls


Stalking memories alone in uneven lines

Like a lone feral grey wolf pines


Throughout this paranormal neighbourhood 


For with you died

Like so many in here who cry


My spark of life


My ecstatic joyful Sun

My bringer of serenity and jest


So in here in my southwest cobwebbed-filled hut


As other prison cells in Desolation Row


Ring out

Like thunder


In a rising crescendo of shrieks of pain and anguish


As we all 

Self-punish

Walking the Green Mile down Memory Road


Remember me before the last harvest

Before you get old


So I can be paroled


Light a white candle 

In your mind's eyes


See our first kiss with love at that fairground 


Sat on that Merry-go-round

 

Beneath that undulating red ocean of pain


Crashing like endless Pacific tides 

Maybe again and again


So that I may still live

If only for a moment


For what I wouldn't give

Now


To breathe once more

To open and walkthrough

That old marital front door


If only for one hour


But as these loud voices  

Surrounding me get louder

And grow in power


As tin prison cups

Relentlessly bang

Like dark country drums


Hour by hour


With sounds like exploding gunpowder on black bars of illusion 


As I look out for you

From my window

In my cave


My penitentiary 

Here in my own watchtower


For 

My thousand-named queen


My rare

Middlemist Red flower


This broken piece of your soul awaits


To be reunited 

To bring peace


When your presence in The Great In-Between

Opens his cell door


As if by magic 

So he can 

Scream no more


But walk home

Into the bright lights


With the only love 

He adores


Both striding 

Powerfully 

Hand in hand


To enter into

Evermore 


To be refined like silver


Escaping 

The Last Great Reaping and Rapture


Of the Prince 

Who is to come


To build Dissolution

Row everywhere 

For all he captures


Remember me

Your Luca 


Your number 1


(C)

Copyright John Duffy

No comments:

Peace